Tuesday, July 21, 2026

 


Why I Love Big Universes

One of the questions I've been asked over the years is why I spend so much time designing worlds that most readers may never even see.

The answer is simple.

Because I enjoy it.

Some writers begin with a character.

Others begin with a plot.

I usually begin with a map.

Not because the map matters more than the people living in it, but because a believable universe gives those people somewhere real to stand.

My current Traveller campaign is a perfect example.

For years I've wanted to build a living interstellar civilization—not simply a collection of star systems, but dozens of competing governments, hundreds of inhabited worlds, trade routes, old wars, forgotten colonies, political alliances, frontier regions, unexplored space, and places where history has left permanent scars.

It's a ridiculous amount of work.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

The Iceberg Principle

Readers only see the tip of an iceberg.

The same is true in fiction.

When Captain Kars Vandor visits a frontier colony, the reader doesn't need to know the history of the neighboring republic, the currency exchange rates, or the century-old border dispute happening four sectors away.

But I know.

That knowledge quietly influences every decision.

Why does this colony import food instead of growing it?

Why does this merchant distrust Imperial officials?

Why is an old warship still sitting in orbit after two hundred years?

Every answer comes from the world beneath the story.

Most of it never appears on the page.

Yet the reader feels it.

A Living Setting

One thing I've learned over the years is that worlds should never feel frozen.

History keeps moving.

Governments rise.

Empires collapse.

Trade shifts.

Religions evolve.

Technology changes.

Children grow into leaders.

Every campaign I run changes my setting a little.

Sometimes the players accidentally start a revolution.

Sometimes they save a colony.

Sometimes they make things considerably worse.

Those consequences become part of the world's history.

The universe remembers.

Starting Small

One of the biggest mistakes I made was believing I had to design everything before telling stories.

I don't.

In fact, I discovered exactly the opposite.

Almost everything important in both my novels and my Traveller campaign takes place inside one region of space—the Aurin Cluster.

That became incredibly freeing.

Instead of trying to build an entire galaxy all at once, I can focus on making one region feel alive.

The rest will come later.

The stories come first.

The universe grows around them.

Why Space Opera Endures

I've loved space opera since I was a kid.

There's something magical about starships disappearing into the unknown.

About frontier colonies.

About explorers pushing beyond the map.

About civilizations rising and falling over centuries.

Space opera gives us permission to think on a grand scale while still telling deeply personal stories.

Because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether your characters are crossing an ocean in a sailing ship or crossing 6 parsecs of space using a jump drive.

They're still asking the same questions.

Who am I?

Where do I belong?

What am I willing to fight for?

Those questions never change.

Only the stars overhead do.


I think that's why I keep coming back.

Not because I'm trying to build the biggest fictional universe.

But because every new world, every new map, and every new story is another chance to ask those timeless questions from a different corner of the galaxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment