Sunday, August 23, 2026

The Writing Life Between Everything Else

There are days when the writing life looks nothing like the romantic version of it...but sometimes...



There is no long, quiet morning with coffee and uninterrupted concentration, no peaceful afternoon spent thinking about characters while the rest of the world somehow agrees to leave me alone. Most days are much more ordinary than that. There are children to get to school, activities to plan around, things that need to be picked up or paid for, meals, errands, family responsibilities, and all the other little obligations that do not disappear simply because I have decided that writing matters to me.

By the time I finally sit down in front of the computer, I am often already tired.

And then I try to write 2,500 words.

That number has become part of the rhythm of my life. It is not always graceful. Some days the words come quickly and I am surprised by how much ground I cover. Other days I have to fight for every page, and I can feel my concentration slipping long before I reach the end. There are afternoons when I know I am running on fumes and evenings when I wonder whether I should stop and sleep instead of trying to force another scene into existence.

The funny thing is that I am not only writing novels.

I am also running four roleplaying games a week.

That sounds almost ridiculous when I write it down, because anyone who runs games seriously knows that the hours at the table are only part of the work. There are scenarios to prepare, NPCs to keep straight, maps to organize, rules to review, music and artwork to select, campaign continuity to remember, and all the inevitable improvisation that comes when players decide to do something no amount of preparation could have anticipated.

Sometimes I think people underestimate how much creative energy a good roleplaying session can take.

You are not merely presenting material. You are reacting constantly. You are listening, adjusting, inventing, remembering, describing, judging, pacing, and trying to make sure everyone at the table has something meaningful to do. It is a kind of live collaborative storytelling, and when it works it is wonderful, but it uses some of the same mental muscles I need when I sit down to write fiction.

By the end of some weeks, those muscles feel very well used.

Still, I would not give up the games.

They keep different parts of my imagination active. Traveller makes me think about worlds as places that function whether the characters are present or not. Star Trek Adventures keeps reminding me about pace, character roles, and the need to react to player choices in the moment. Dune makes me think about politics, motives, power, and consequence. Conan pulls me back toward movement, danger, and the value of a story that simply gets on with it.

All of those games feed the writing in different ways, even when they leave me exhausted.

That is the strange balance I am living with now. I am tired, but I am also productive. I am busy, but I am also building the kind of creative life I have wanted for years. Those two truths coexist.

I think that is important to admit, because there is a tendency to talk about creative ambition as if the only real obstacle were discipline. If you want it badly enough, people say, you will make the time. There is some truth in that, but the reality is much messier. Sometimes you do make the time and you are still tired. Sometimes you are disciplined and still distracted. Sometimes you hit your word count and still feel as though you could have done better.

The life does not become easy simply because you are serious about it.

What changes is that you keep returning to the work anyway.

That may be the part of discipline that matters most to me now. It is not some dramatic act of willpower. It is the habit of coming back after the school run, after an errand, after a game session, after a bad night's sleep, or after a day when the writing did not go the way I wanted. It is opening the manuscript again instead of waiting for the perfect mood.

The perfect mood is unreliable.

The work has to survive without it.

I used to think, as I suspect many writers do, that there would eventually be a point when the conditions became better. There would be more time, more quiet, more energy, more certainty. I would somehow arrive at the version of life in which writing could occupy its proper place without having to compete with everything else.

I do not think that version of life is coming.

I am beginning to think that the actual writing life is learning to do the work inside the life you already have.

The children still need me.

The games still matter.

The family still has its routines.

There are still ordinary responsibilities that cannot simply be waved away.

So the writing has to fit among them.

Oddly enough, that realization has made me more serious rather than less.

If I am waiting for ideal conditions, I can always explain why I did not write today. If I accept that this is the life, then the question changes. It becomes: where do the words go?

Somewhere, they have to go.

That is why 2,500 words matters to me. It is not simply a production target. It is a way of proving to myself that the work is still moving.

I do not always feel brilliant while doing it. I do not always feel inspired. Some days I barely feel awake.

But the book grows.

That matters.

There are moments when the exhaustion itself becomes dangerous, because tiredness can start sounding like judgment. When I have slept badly or pushed too hard, the voice in my head becomes much more pessimistic. Suddenly the unfinished manuscript looks impossible. The larger plans seem absurd. The number of stories I want to write feels less like a gift and more like evidence that I have taken on too much.

I have learned, at least in theory, not to trust every thought I have when I am exhausted.

Sometimes what sounds like wisdom is simply fatigue.

That is one of the reasons support matters so much.

My wife has been encouraging about the writing, and what struck me recently was the way she spoke about success. She did not say that she thought I would succeed. She said she believed we would.

That stayed with me.

Writing is solitary in one sense. Nobody else can sit down and write the chapter for me. Nobody else can decide how a character speaks or what happens in the next scene. When the sentence is not working, that is my problem to solve.

But the life around the writing is not solitary at all.

Every hour I spend working exists inside a family. Every late night affects someone else. Every game I run, every deadline I set, every project I decide to pursue has to exist alongside the people around me.

So when someone close to me says, in effect, “I believe in what we are trying to build,” that means more than encouragement.

It makes the dream feel shared.

That does not make the work easier, exactly, but it makes it feel less lonely.

I have been thinking a lot lately about what success actually means. It is easy to imagine success as something that happens later, when enough books are published, enough people are reading them, enough money is coming in, or enough recognition has arrived to prove that all the effort was worthwhile.

But if I only define success that way, then the entire present becomes a waiting room.

I do not want to live like that.

There is something successful already in the fact that I am writing consistently, that the manuscripts are growing, that the worlds are becoming more detailed, that the games are still running, and that the children are growing up in a house where they see creative work being taken seriously.

That is not the end of the ambition.

It is simply part of it.

I still want the books to do well. I want people to read them. I want the stories to reach an audience large enough that the work can support more work. I want the worlds I have spent years building to matter to people besides me.

I do not see any reason to pretend otherwise.

But I am also beginning to understand that the path itself has value, even when it is exhausting.

There is something deeply satisfying about looking back over a week and knowing that, somehow, in the middle of school runs, activities, errands, family time, game preparation, and everything else, another seventeen thousand words appeared.

Not because the week was perfectly managed.

It usually is not.

Not because I felt wonderful the entire time.

I usually do not.

But because I kept moving.

That is probably the part of the writing life I understand better now than I did when I was younger.

You do not wait until you feel like a writer.

You write while tired.

You write while busy.

You write when confidence is high and when it is not.

You write when the day feels organized and when it feels like several different days have collided with one another.

And then, if you are fortunate, someone you love looks at everything you are trying to do and says, “I know we are going to make this work.”

That is enough to carry you a long way.

I am tired most days.

I would be lying if I said otherwise.

But I am not discouraged.

Those are not the same thing.

There are still too many stories I want to tell, too many characters I want to follow, too many worlds I want to build, and too many books I want to finish for tiredness to have the final word.

So tomorrow I will get up, deal with whatever the day brings, take care of the people who need me, run the games that are scheduled, and somewhere in the middle of all of it I will sit down again.

Then I will find the next 2,500 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment