Sunday, August 23, 2026

The Writing Life Between Everything Else



There are days when the writing life looks nothing like the romantic version of it. There is no long, quiet morning with coffee and uninterrupted concentration, no peaceful afternoon spent thinking about characters while the rest of the world politely leaves me alone. Most days are much more ordinary. There are children to get to school, activities to plan around, errands, meals, family responsibilities, and all the other things that do not disappear simply because writing matters to me.

By the time I sit down at the computer, I am often already tired, and then I try to write 2,500 words.

That number has become part of the rhythm of my life. Some days the words come quickly and I am surprised by how much ground I cover. Other days I have to fight for every page, and there are evenings when I wonder whether I should simply stop and sleep rather than force another scene into existence. Even so, the manuscript keeps growing, and that matters more to me than whether every day feels inspired.

At the same time, I am running four roleplaying games a week, which means that writing is only part of my creative workload. Anyone who runs games seriously knows that the hours at the table are only the visible part. There are scenarios to prepare, NPCs to remember, maps and rules to organize, campaign continuity to keep straight, and then all the improvisation that happens when players inevitably do something I never expected.

Those games take energy, but they also feed the writing. Traveller makes me think about worlds as functioning places rather than backgrounds. Star Trek Adventures keeps me thinking about pacing and responding to characters in the moment. Dune makes me think about politics, motives, and consequences, while Conan reminds me that sometimes a story simply needs to move. Each game exercises a different part of the imagination, and I would not want to give that up even when I finish the week exhausted.

That is the strange balance of my life right now. I am tired, but I am also productive. I am busy, but I am building the kind of creative life I have wanted for years.

People often talk about creative ambition as though discipline were the only real obstacle. If you want something badly enough, they say, you will make the time. There is some truth in that, but life is more complicated. You can make the time and still be tired. You can be disciplined and still be distracted. You can hit your word count and still feel as if you should have done more.

Being serious about the work does not make life easier. It simply means returning to it anyway.

That is what discipline means to me now. It is not some dramatic act of willpower. It is opening the manuscript again after the school run, after an errand, after a game session, or after a bad night's sleep. It is accepting that the perfect mood is unreliable and that if I wait for ideal conditions, I may wait forever.

I used to think there would eventually be a point when there was more time, more quiet, more energy, and more certainty. I would somehow arrive at a version of life where writing could occupy its proper place without having to compete with everything else. I no longer think that version of life is coming, and perhaps it does not need to.

The actual writing life is learning to do the work inside the life you already have.

My children still need me, my family still has its routines, and the games still matter. The writing has to fit among those things rather than waiting for them to disappear. Oddly enough, accepting that has made me more serious about the work, because I no longer expect life to make room for it automatically. I have to make that room myself.

That is why 2,500 words matters. It is not simply a production target. It is evidence that the work is moving forward.

I have also learned not to trust every thought that arrives when I am exhausted. Tiredness has a way of disguising itself as judgment. When I have pushed too hard or slept badly, unfinished manuscripts begin to look impossible, future projects seem absurdly ambitious, and the number of stories I want to tell can feel more like a burden than a gift. A little rest can make those same projects look exciting again.

Support matters enormously in that kind of life.

My wife has been encouraging about the writing, and recently she said something that stayed with me. She did not say that she believed I would succeed. She said that she believed we would.

That one word meant a great deal.

Writing is solitary in the sense that nobody else can write the chapter for me or decide what happens in the next scene, but the life around the writing is not solitary at all. Every late night, every game, every deadline, and every project exists within a family. When someone close to you says, “I believe in what we are building,” the dream stops feeling quite so private.

I have been thinking about success in much the same way. It is easy to imagine it as something that happens later, when enough books are published, enough people are reading them, or enough money and recognition have arrived to prove that the effort was worthwhile. I still want those things. I want my books to do well, I want people to read them, and I want the worlds I have spent years building to matter to people besides me.

But if success exists only in the future, then the present becomes nothing more than a waiting room.

I do not want to live that way.

There is already something worthwhile in the fact that I am writing consistently, that the manuscripts are growing, that the games are still being played, and that my children are growing up seeing creative work treated as something serious. That is not the end of the ambition, but it is part of the life I wanted.

Sometimes I look back over a week and realize that, somewhere among school runs, activities, errands, family time, and game preparation, thousands of new words appeared. The week was not perfectly managed and I did not feel wonderful the entire time, but the work moved forward.

That is probably what I understand better now than I did when I was younger.

You do not need to wait until you feel like a writer. You write when you are tired, when you are busy, when confidence is high, and when it is not. You keep returning to the work until the pages accumulate and the books begin to exist.

I am tired most days, and I would be lying if I said otherwise, but tired and discouraged are not the same thing.

There are still too many stories I want to tell, too many characters I want to follow, too many worlds I want to build, and too many books I want to finish for tiredness to have the final word.

So tomorrow I will get up, deal with whatever the day brings, take care of the people who need me, run the games that are scheduled, and somewhere in the middle of all of it I will sit down again and find the next 2,500 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment